Monday, July 18, 2011

Royal Catchfly catches a Butterfly



It's not always easy to get advice on growing a native plant species. Since I'm crazy about hummingbirds, I searched for Missouri natives that specialize in hummingbirds for pollination. Royal Catchfly (Silene regia) is one of the most spectacular. I wrote about its spring-blooming cousin, Fire Pink (Silene virginica) in May this year, but Royal Catchfly is taller and blooms for a longer time. The earliest my catchflies have ever bloomed is June 29. All these photos were taken this week.



According to Ozark Wildflowers, by Don Kurz, they are found in the Ozarks on the borders of glades and prairies, although they're considered endangered in the rest of the state. That could mean it likes alkaline soils because of all that karst topography in the Ozarks. I was told the plant likes moisture and sharp drainage. Hmm… Not a common combination in my clay soil. I dig an extra deep hole, add crushed limestone, and hope for the best. But wait a minute, what's that near the top left bloom?

It's a hummingbird plant, right? What's that gorgeous blue?


I guess butterflies don't read the books.



8 comments:

  1. What an extraordinarily beautiful moment you captured: a gorgeous plant with the blessing of a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful plant and beautiful butterfly! It looks like the plant is doing very well in your garden.

    kateri @ Dandelion Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful butterfly, great flowers to dear Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the visit and kind words! And thanks Patricia for the repost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Plant the natives, and see who shows up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I posted this I've seen more photos of Pipevine Swallowtails on Royal Catchfly, but the hummers fight over it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Royal Catchfly is beautiful. I've never seen one before. I don't ever see Swallowtails in New Mexico, but I've gotten so much pleasure seeing them on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi GirlSprout, thanks for the comment! Pipevine Swallowtails do occur in New Mexico--listed as common in the southern quarter of the state, uncommon in the rest. I never saw one here in St. Louis MO till I planted my pipevine.

    ReplyDelete